For those of you wondering if you can use a PS4 controller on PS3 you most definitely can. Thanks to an update back in 2014 it’s currently possible to get your PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller to work wirelessly on your PlayStation 3. So that means no more having to use a micro USB cable hooked up to your DualShock 4 controller to play your video games on your PS3.
In this guide we’ll discuss how to use a PS4 controller on PS3 via Bluetooth. We’ll also provide a list of alternative PS3 controllers for those of you who may want to ditch your DualShock 3 for something a bit more modern.
Here’s how to use a PS4 controller on PS3
There are a lot of great controllers that work with the PS4. But no matter what, the DualShock 4 is one of the best controllers this generation without a doubt. So it’s no surprise that a lot of PS3 owners want to use the DualShock 4 to play their games.
First thing you’re going to want to know is that there are some sacrifices to be made in using your PS4 controller on you PS3. Because the connection is made using Bluetooth, you will not get access to the SixAxis or rumble features of the DualShock 4 controller. If these things matter to you a lot then you might be better off sticking with your DualShock 3 or checking out our section below on alternative PS3 controllers.
- First thing you want to do is make sure your PS3 is currently updated.
- In the PlayStation 3 setting menu go to Accessory settings and find Manage Bluetooth devices.
- You now want to Register new Device.
- Hold down both the Share and PS Logo buttons at the same time on your DualShock 4 until the light bar on the front flashes.
- The PlayStation 3 will find the DualShock 4 as Wireless Controller.
- Select Wireless Controller on the menu and the PS4 controller will work on PS3 for most of your games.
So after you go through all the steps above you’ll be able to use a PS4 controller on PS3 wirelessly. Remember though that the DualShock 4 will function as a generic controller. This means that some features will not work, such as Sixasis Motion and Rumble functions.
Another thing to note is that you’ll have to pair your DualShock 4 controller back to your PS4 every time you want to use it. You should also keep an extra PS3 controller handy because the PS4 controller PS button logo does not send you back to the XMB when you press it.
Alternative PS3 controllers you should try
If you just can’t live without the SixAxis or rumble features that you won’t get with a PS4 Controller on PS3 then you should try these other PS3 controller upgrades to replace your DualShock 3. We’ve listed some of the more popular controllers for your PS3 that will help make your gaming experience a bit better.
OYW Wireless Bluetooth Six Axis Dualshock Game Controller
- FOR BIG HANDS: Cool appearance and special designed for big hands.
- NEW CHARGING WAY: It use common micro usb port intead of mini usb port. So you can charge it by any micro usb cable everywhere.
- BETTER QUALITY: The controller is made by a 8 years experience of gaming products.
- RELIABLE BATTERY:It has more reliable battery, battery life last longer than other 3rd Party controllers
- FUNCTION: Wireless joypad with motion control and dual vibration feedback.3rd Party product, not made by SONY
First on our list is a wireless Bluetooth controller designed to provide a better gaming experience on you PlayStation 3 console. The OYW Wireless Bluetooth Six Axis Dualshock Game Controller for PS3 is a fully compatible controller with a unique appearance and reliable battery.
Even though this is a 3rd party product you’re still getting a wireless PS3 controller with features like motion controls and dual vibration feedback. This is an excellent controller for the price and it works perfectly with the PS3 console.
ZD T Wired Gaming Controller
- For PC Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 & Play Station 3&Steam&Android (Above version 4.0,and the device must support the OTG function entirely)
- Warning:The gamepad can be exchanged in three months. If you have any problems when you using the gamepad, please email to contact us first,we will solve the problem at once.
- Full Vibration Feedback / JD-SWITCH Function
- Multi-Mode : Xinput / DirectInput, Plug and Play - limited to the PC games that support the Xinput Mode
- Interface: USB-Not support the Xbox 360 / One
The next alternative to a PS4 controller on PS3 is a cheap wired controller that resembles an Xbox gamepad. The ZD T Wired Gaming Controller is a best selling product that works with PS3, PC, Android devices and more. It has full vibration feedback.
Again, this is an Xbox style wired controller so if you are not looking for such a far departure from the DualShock 3 design then you may want to pass on this. But for those of you who have ever enjoyed the comfort of an Xbox controller and would like that on your PS3 then this comes highly recommended.
GameSir G3s Bluetooth Wireless Controller
- 32-bit high-speed MCU chip, high sensitivity and on time response.
- Support icade, X-input, D-input and Android native mode games. Connection: 2.4GHz Dongle/Bluetooth 4.2/ Wired connection.
- Multi-Platforms: Android/Windows/PS3/Switch. Note: Xbox, PS4, Windows tablet, Mac, Apple TV, iOS devices are not supported.
- Lasts for 18 hours working time, bulid-in rechargeable battery, double shock vibration.
- More games recommend you can visit our official website.
Last up is one of the most popular gaming controllers out of this list. The GameSir G3s Bluetooth Wireless Controller is a multi-platform gamepad that features:
- Analogue sticks that have 360-degree positioning for ultra-accuracy
- A floating D-pad
- Individual detachable mobile brackets for smartphones
- Extremely soft touching feeling
- An ergonomic design for comfort
- Textured surface for better grip
- Buttons with built-in color LED lights
If you’re looking for a quality 3rd party PS3 controller to replace your DualShock 3 then you should definitely give this a purchase. The built-in lithium battery will last you about 18 hours in normal gaming conditions. There is even an automatic sleep mode to help save on battery power. The controller supports vibration feedback and works well with not just the PS3 but tablets and smartphones also.
Some online stores give us a small commission if you buy something through one of our links. Read our affiliate policy for more info.
Latest posts by The Gizmo Life (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why Exp Asset is Great for Making Money Online - January 16, 2019
- Exp Asset [Guide]: Here’s Exactly How to Make Money with Exp Asset - December 31, 2018
- Fomo3D Guide: How to Play and Make Money with Fomo3D - July 15, 2018
Last update on 2019-03-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API