Is your PS4 overheating and/or sounding like a jet engine? Fixing PS4 overheating and fan noise issues is actually quite simple. Plus preventing it from happening frequently with a PS4 or PS4 Pro cooling system is essential.
A quick rundown of what is in this guide:
- How to fix PS4 overheating and fan noise problems in a variety of ways
- Instructions on how to clean out your PS4 and PS4 Pro
- Top cooling systems and vertical stands to keep your console cool and clean
The two main problems that you might find yourself dealing with while owning a PS4 or PS4 Pro are the noise levels of the fan and overheating issues. It is rare, though, that you can’t fix these problems on your own and we are even going to teach you to a variety of ways to handle these issues yourself.
In this guide we’re going to tell you . You can check out the table of contents below to find the section that fits your specific needs. And if you feel that purchasing a PlayStation cooling system will help to alleviate your overheating and dust issues, we’ve got a section covering the top PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro cooling fans.
Best Selling PS4 Cooling Systems
In need of a PS4 Cooling System to help your PlayStation stay cool?
Here’s a quick list of the top selling cooling fans for PS4.
- Multi-functionally Designed for All Playstation 4 Consoles - It perfectly fit for the PS4 , PS4 slim , PS4 pro console; a lot of improvements in performance.
- With LED Indicators Screen - It charges through the EXT port, dual controllers can sit on the earphone jack as well, when Charging it turns to Color RED with " Charging..." logo , when fully charged it turns to COLOR GREEN.
- Improvements of the Dualshock 4 Charging Station- The PS4 controller built in protector chip, it can't be charged unless the power is below 70%, if the controller is interrupted in charging process, then put it for charging again, and if the power is over 70% but below 100%, the charging will stop.
- Cooling System Upgraded - Cool down Playstation 4 consoles powerly, decreased the noise as low as 50dB , keep your console in normal temperature quietly although playing all day and night.
- All-In-One: Vertical stand for PS4/PS4 Slim/PS4 Pro+ cooler+ controller charging station with Indicators+ 12 games storage+ metal bottom+ USB HUB ports+ 30 inch usb cable+ Anti-Slip EVA Pad.
- All-In-One: Game console vertical stand+ cooler+ controller charging station+ USB HUB+ 14 slot game disc storage.
- 2 built-in fans improved at higher speed, disperse heat from your console, improve the operational life span.
- 3 USB HUB ports for connecting other USB devices: mouse, keyboard headset etc. Not recommended for charging.
- 2 Controller charging station with higher power to charge both of your controllers faster and simultaneously. Note: Charger will stop working when console off/sleep mode.
- Features a game storage to store your favorite games up to 14 slots, package include 2 non-slip footpads which keep the games from knocked over. Please note this item not fits PS4 Pro console. Game console, controller and games not included.
- [All-In-One] PS4 / PS4 Slim Console Vertical Stand + Two Cooling Fans + Controller Charging Docks + Three Additional HUB Ports
- [Dual Cooling Fans] This vertical stand has 2 built-in fans to dissipate heat from your PlayStation 4 / Slim Console keeping it working functionality. No need to worry about your PS4 / PS4 Slim overheating and burning your table from long hours of game playing
- [Dual Charging Station] The stand has 2 slots for holding the controllers when you are not using them or when they are being charged. You can charge your DualShock controllers simultaneously, saving your time when need to charge the controllers
- [Space Saving Design] The stand keeps the gaming area neat and compact and actually minimizes the space taken up by the playstation by holding it vertical
- [Multifunctional] It has added 3 HUB ports to charge or power up other devices you may need to play the game with, or to connect other devices like tablets, phones, and cameras
How to fix common PS4 overheating problems
It’s normal for your PlayStation 4 to run a little hot when loading heavy games or downloading but it shouldn’t be constant. More likely than not, you will notice your PS4 overheating by it getting hot and cutting off during important moments.
Not only is this a frustrating turn of events, it is also a dangerous position for the life of your console if it happens frequently. Don’t panic yet, though, because there are things you can do to prevent and fix this overheating short of replacing the console.
If you have bought your PlayStation 4 within the last year, the easiest option is usually to go to Sony for answers. So long as the warranty is still valid, Sony will fix the problem for you. This saves you the effort of taking your PlayStation apart for cleaning, voiding the warranty, or buying parts.
PlayStation 4 cooling stands
The most basic reason that your PlayStation 4 might be overheating could just be that it doesn’t have room to ventilate properly, trapping hot air around it.
To fix this, the easiest option is to get a cooling stand. Of course, as with anything else, you are going to need to make sure you get a quality product if you want the best results. Later in this article, though, we will go over your best options for your PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, and PlayStation 4 Slim, so don’t worry.
Clean out your PS4
Sometimes, a collection of dust can be the problem for overheating since it can inhibit the fan. A cursory cleaning is normal for regular maintenance but for keeping the fan running strong, you’ll need to do a deep clean which involves partially disassembling your console.
To do this, you will need to be careful. Doing it the wrong way can even void the warranty. In the following sections, we will explain the proper way to clean your PlayStation 4 without voiding the warranty. We will also go over how to clean your console as regular maintenance to try and catch dust before it reaches the fan.
Once again, if you are under warranty and anxious of voiding it, you can always have Sony repair the problem.
Cooling stands work so well for a good reason and that is ventilation. Your fan can work fine but if you don’t give it the proper space needed then it can’t do its job.
So, make sure that when you have your PlayStation 4 set up and on that it isn’t surrounded or covered by other things. This traps the hot air directly around the PS4, causing it to overheat. In fact, even if you keep your PlayStation 4 in a cabinet, you are likely to come across overheating problems. This is because, once again, it traps the heat around the console, causing it to overheat.
If you are experiencing overheating frequently, the fan in your system may have gone bad. Don’t panic just because the problem is internal, though. You can replace it yourself following the steps below for “Cleaning Out Your PS4 Pro” and putting the new fan in when you put the system back together.
Finding one of these fans isn’t difficult either. In fact, all you need to do really is to complete a quick online search and you will be presented with a variety of options.
However, you will need to be careful. The fan in each variation of the PlayStation 4 is a little different. So, for example, if you were to purchase a PlayStation Pro fan, you wouldn’t be able to use it in the PlayStation 4 you bought at launch.
Change the thermal paste
First, a warning is in order: replacing the thermal paste on your PlayStation requires you to partially disassemble it. This means by doing this, you will void your warranty if it is still in effect.
Video: How to Replace Your PS4 Thermal Paste
You will first want to remove the back cover and power unit for the PlayStation 4. This only requires you to remove some screws. Be careful to keep track of everything you remove, though, so you can reassemble it later.
You are then going to see a metal plate – not the one over the motherboard but over the Blue Ray drive – and remove it from both sides of the console to remove it. You will then remove the plate that is protecting the motherboard. You won’t need to remove the fan for this repair.
Before replacing the thermal paste, you will need to clean the chip. There are plenty of products out there to clean and ready the chip for replacing thermal paste, so you don’t need to worry about using the wrong thing or not being able to find what you need.
Once you have the chip exposed, you will see a gray goo on it. If you are unaware, this is the thermal paste that we are aiming to change. You can use stock thermal paste on this if you want but many gamers change to a higher quality paste such as Arctic Silver 5.
Using the cleaner that you have and small bits of paper, towel, or even better a microfiber cloth, remove the thermal paste from the chip. It should look clean enough to show a reflection if you have done it right with quality materials.
When you are cleaning, make sure to clean and purify the contact point on the cover as well. This will have some thermal paste on it too, so make sure to get it off and prime it for new thermal paste.
Finally, all you need to do is to reapply thermal paste and put the system back together in the reverse order. Remember, though, that the thermal paste will spread out when you put the cover for the motherboard back on so don’t over apply the substance.
Give the console a break
If you are a gamer who gives your console a lot of abuse, then it will overheat. When you are accustomed to playing your console hours at a time every day, it might just need a break. If it starts to overheat, try shutting it down and unplugging it for a bit.
Usually, 15-30 minutes will do the trick but you might need to let it sit a little longer so it doesn’t automatically get hot again when you turn it on.
How to fix a loud PS4
Gaming can be quickly ruined if you are taken out of the world you are meant to be immersed in. One thing that can do this – and concern you for the health of your PS4 – is if your PS4 is nearly screaming when you turn it on.
However, you don’t have to live with a loud fan. There are several problems that could be causing your fan and PS4 to be loud when you turn it on and while you play. Some of these problems could be the fan or could be mistaken for the fan being loud. Don’t worry, though, because we are going to explain how to fix each problem so you can go back to a silent running PlayStation 4 to resume gaming on.
Cleaning the system out
So, what do you do if you have a PS4 loud fan? Well, you are going to have to clean it to get all the dust out. Later, we will go over how to clean your PS4 from the outside for regular maintenance. Here, though, we will look at how to deep clean your system to fix the sound of your PS4.
There is something important to note before you continue to take your PlayStation apart to clean the PS4 loud fan, you will void the warranty. If you would rather keep the warranty intact, you can always actually call the warranty in and have Sony fix your PS4 loud fan.
Video: How to Fix a Loud PS4 Fan
First, you will need a screwdriver to loosen and remove the 3 lower screws on the bottom back of your console. Then, you only need to gently pull the panel off. Remember to keep track of all the parts you are taking off and out so it can be reassembled later.
The first thing you are going to want to do with your PS4 open is to clean the dust from the panel and directly inside the panel. However, your focus is going to be on cleaning the fan from here on out.
The dust on your fan is what’s usually causing such a loud sound when your fans start to run. To clean them, it is best to use a can of compressed air. Don’t turn it sideways, though, because if any of the liquid comes out and onto your PlayStation, it can cause damage.
You should also be extremely careful not to spray any compressed air into the disk drive or you risk ruining it.
When you get the majority of the dust out, you can reinstall the panel and screws you removed earlier. Remember to have cleaned these, though, or you will just be putting dust right back.
Once you are done, don’t turn your PlayStation 4 on right away. Let it sit for at least 15-30 minutes. This will give any liquid that could have dripped from the air compressor to dry up. Running it right away risks permanent damage.
Replacing the fan
If the fan has simply gone bad and is running in a malfunctioned manner, you might just need to replace it. For this, you can follow the steps that we have already gone over when discussing problems with faulty fans. Once again, though, remember to be careful in ordering your fan to get the right one for your console type.
Disc drive and hard drive replacement
If you are hearing a loud whirring, it could be something different from your fan entirely. Instead, you could be hearing your disc drive failing. To replace this, you can simply go online and look one up although, once again, check the console that it goes to.
For the replacement, just go through the same process we have and will continue to go over. In it, simply order a new hard drive and replace it as you reassemble your system.
The problem of your console being loud could also be due to your hard drive. Make sure your HDD drive is secure. Run it with the cover off. Re-seat it if it is necessary. If you plan on getting a new hard drive because it is faulty just remember to be careful at which external or internal hard drive you purchase. You might run into compatibility issues, so just to be on the safe side you should check out our guide to the best PlayStation hard drives.
Best cooling systems for PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro
If you are leaning toward a cooling system to keep your PlayStation system in order, it can be hard to find the right one. This is especially true when it comes to choosing between the PS4, PS4 Slim, and the PS4 Pro.
In this section, we will go over the best options you have for each of these systems – the PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro. Each of these options offers more than just your standard cooling systems. Usually, they also offer storage space in addition to ventilation.
So, without further ado, here are the best options for cooling systems for your PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, and PlayStation 4 Slim.
AMIR PS4 Cooler Vertical Stand Cooling Fan
- 【ALL-IN-ONE PACK】Including PS4 Console Vertical Stand + 2 Cooling Fans + 2 Controller Charging Docks + 14 Slot Game Disc Storage + 3 Additional HUB Ports + 8 Controller Cover Caps. However, the slot is specially designed for PS4. If you are seeking for a Pro or Slim stand, please select other alternatives.
- 【2 CONTROLLER CHARGING STATIONS 】2 build in charging ports are designed for PS4 controller. They are both a stand and a charging station that offer a longer playtime to your controllers. Meanwhile, they also can save spaces and make your devices tidy.
- 【GAME DISC STORAGE 】Constructed with 14 slot Game disc storage area, you can easily store your game discs close to your PS4. Space saving! No need to buy another game disc storage tower. Money saving!
- 【3 HUB PORTS 】Added with 3 HUB ports to charge other devices which may needed to play with the game. Compared to other charging station that has 2 USB, our product is multifunctional and enables you connect other devices like tablets, phones and cameras.
- 【UNIQUE APPEARANCE】 Fashionable and unique appearance of rocket shape for the vertical stand enhances the fun of gaming experience. Equipped with 8 high quality Controller Cover Caps, providing you with a perfect game playing experience.
For the PlayStation 4, your best cooling system option is the AMIR PS4 Cooler Vertical Stand. This stand will help you to keep your PlayStation 4 standing vertically with no issue with the ventilation whatsoever.
In addition to the stand, it also features 2 professional built-in cooling fans. This not only improves your PlayStation 4’s overheating issues but can also improve the general lifespan of your console.
If you are looking for a place to store your controllers, the AMIR PS4 Cooler Vertical Stand fits that purpose as well. It can hold 2 controllers that rest neatly on with the USB port facing down. This is because the stand also has two USB ports to charge the controllers while they rest their.
You can also store your games here as well. The system comes with a 14 slot game disc storage. This allows you to place the cases of 14 of your favorite games in the same space as your console, saving you room in the long run.
The AMIR PS4 Cooler Vertical Stand also comes with 3 HUB ports. This allows you to charge any other devices you might need to while you play. This includes your phone, tablet, and nearly any other device you might have.
The overall appearance of the unit is unique as well. It offers a rocket shape in a vertical stand that is unique as well as contemporary design that will keep your gaming area neat and attractive.
If you prefer to play with caps on your controller, don’t worry! This unit comes with 8 controller caps as well, giving you the perfect grip with your game. Each pair offers a different design as well, giving you room to explore your favorite type and what works best for you.
Kootek Vertical Stand for PS4 Slim with Cooling Fan
- All-In-One: Game console vertical stand+ cooling fans+ controller charging station+ USB ports+ controller LED charge indicator
- Vertical Stand: Brace stabilisers make sure your console stays in a stable vertical position securely and safely.
- High-speed Fans: 2 built-in fans ( 1.57" ) keep your Playstation 4 Slim cool and calm, no more overheating and burning, improve the operational life span.
- Controller Charging Station: 2 charger with high power to charge both controllers faster, meanwhile 2 LED charging indicator showing charge status. Note: Charger will stop working when console off/sleep mode.
- 2 USB Charger Ports: 2 additional USB ports allow for connecting more USB devices, such as mouse, keyboard and other USB devices. Not recommended for charging. ( Please NOTE: This item only fits for Playstation 4 Slim console. Console, controller NOT included on package. )
For your PlayStation 4 Slim, we recommend that you use the Kootek Vertical Stand for PS4 Slim with Cooling Fan. This system offers your PS4 a diverse range of benefits. This way, you don’t have to worry about buying a multiple accessories for your PlayStation 4.
The first thing that we are concerned about, though, is how it protects your system from overheating. This unit comes with 2 built-in 1.57” fans. Once again, these do more than just help keep your PlayStation 4 safe from occasionally overheating. In addition, it will help to improve your PlayStation 4 Slim’s general lifespan as well.
Much like the model for the launch PlayStation 4 that we looked at, the Kootek Vertical Stand for the PS4 Slim with Cooling Fan has 2 charging ports for the Dualshock Controllers. These controllers sit with the USB port facing down and the buttons facing toward the console when they are plugged in.
If you are wondering how charged your controllers are, the use of LED charging indicators. It is important to note that when your PlayStation 4 Slim is off or in sleep mode, the controllers won’t charge.
In addition, there are also 2 additional USB ports on the front of the Kootek Vertical Stand for PS4 Slim with Cooling Fan. This allows for you to plug in your phone, tablet, etc. when you are playing, saving you time and the extra outlet. You can also use these ports to attach a mouse and keyboard if you choose.
Unfortunately, this system does offer the same thing that the AMIR PS4 Cooler Vertical Stands does with game storage. It doesn’t offer this so you will need to purchase a stand for your games or find a place to keep them.
Kootek Vertical Stand for PS4 Pro with Cooling Fan
- All-In-One: Game console vertical stand+ cooling fans+ controller charging station+ USB ports+ controller LED charge indicator.
- Vertical Playing: Space-saving designed exclusively for the PlayStation 4 Pro, keep your console steadily in a vertical position.
- Powerful Cooling Fans: 2 built-in fans create a cooling air circulation system which helps pull more heat away from your Playstation, no need to worry about overheating after long hours of game playing.
- 2 Controller Charger: High output power of charging station to charge 2 controllers faster and simultaneously; features 2 LED charging indicator showing charge status. Note: Charger will stop working when console off/sleep mode.
- Additional USB Ports: 2 HUB & 1 USB ports allow for connecting more USB devices, such as mouse, keyboard or other USB devices. Not recommended for charging. ( PLEASE NOTE: This item only fits for Playstation 4 Pro console. NOT for Regular PS4. Game console and controller NOT included in package. )
If you are the owner of a PlayStation 4 Pro, we recommend that you use the Kootek Vertical Stand for PS4 Pro with Cooling Fan. This product has a range of accessories that many PlayStation owners would find useful. Not only does it have a cooling system, it also comes with a controller charging station for the PlayStation 4 Pro, and a charger for Dualshock 4.
Of all the features of this product, the cooling fans are possibly the most notable. While the title of the product indicated that the item has one fan, this is misleading. The product actually has two fans that work in tandem to circulate the air around your PlayStation, protecting it from the dangers of overheating. This way, you’ll be able to play your system for as long as you desire, without having to worry about your system incurring damage from overheating.
While the cooling fans are quite impressive, the other features of this product are astounding as well. The charging station allows for the charging of two controllers at once. There is an LED indicator light to show the progression of the charging of the controllers. It is important to note, however, that the charger will not work when the system is in sleep mode or off.
This item is a great choice for those looking to fix overheating issues, as well as keep all components of your console in one convenient space. Budget friendly and space efficient, this item is a great addition to the setup of any PlayStation owner.
How to clean your PlayStation 4 console
To keep your PlayStation running in its best condition, you are going to need to keep it clean. Dust buildup will slow it down but you have to make sure to clean it the right way to prevent any damage.
Video: How To Easily Clean The Inside Of Your PS4
Before you do anything, unplug the console and remove cords from it. This protects them from accidentally getting damaged in this process and allows you to clean the ports better. Plus, you don’t need to clean the cords themselves. As such, removing them helps to keep them out of the way.
Next, pull out a can of compressed air. This is going to be an asset cleaning your PlayStation and you can use it on other electronics as well. For example, many people employ the use of a can of compressed air when cleaning their keyboards. If you own more than one console, it can also be helpful in cleaning those as well.
First, you are going to shoot a short burst of air into the indent on the front of the console. You will also want to shoot a short burst of air into the USB ports to remove the dust from them as well. Now, a continuous burst can be used to clean the top of your console.
Next, you will need a microfiber cloth. First, you will brush the microfiber cloth to the left on the “shinier” side of your PlayStation. Brushing to the left ensures nothing will touch the light sensor on your PS4. Repeat this on the matte side of your console, brushing things to the right. Finally, fold your cloth to reach in the crevice on the front of your console.
Finally, make sure the place you keep your console in is clean. All of this effort means nothing if you turn around and lay it in a huge pile of dust. So, take the extra couple of seconds to wipe the surface down. Of course, make sure that no matter what you use that the area is dry when you lay the PlayStation 4 back down.
How to clean out a PS4 Pro
A cursory cleaning isn’t always enough to keep your PlayStation Pro running like it should. However, a deep clean done wrong is an easy way to damage your PlayStation or void the warranty if you don’t know what to do. Luckily, Sony has taken the time to explain the process. So, by following the steps below, you won’t void the warranty when you clean your PlayStation 4 Pro.
Remember, though, that you will be reassembling your PlayStation 4 console by the end of this process. This means that you need to be careful to keep track of all the pieces that you take out so you have them for the reverse process.
Video: PS4 Pro Fan Cleaning
First, you will need to take the hard disc, which is actually quite easy to remove. In fact, it simply pulls off with your fingers. Once it is off, you will see a screw that you can remove with a screwdriver the metal plate and hard disc. This is also the method you use to replace your hard drive as needed.
At this point, you will begin to disassemble the system as a whole, beginning by removing the tamper evident seals from the back of the console. However, once these are removed, customer support from SIE is inaccessible to you.
With these seals removed, you can now unscrew the three screws located on the back of the console. Once these are removed, you can easily snap the cover of the PlayStation off.
Now that you can see the interior of the console, you will first unscrew the 2 screws holding the power unit in place. Then, snap off the top cover of the console as well. At this point, unscrew the silver shield to the system’s power unit. After that is removed, you can remove the power unit itself, which you unscrewed earlier.
The next thing you are going to want to remove is the coaxial and flexible flat cables. These can simply be unplugged and unscrewed. Just because they are cables rather than metal sheets, don’t panic about how to treat them. Rather, just treat them with the same care as you did each metal plate you have and will remove.
Next to go is the motherboard shield. This is also called the bottom shield and it is the large, gray piece you saw when you first removed the bottom cover from your PlayStation Pro. Upon removing it, you will see a second shield on the motherboard. You can go ahead and remove this piece as well.
You will then need to remove the leaf spring. This recognizable piece looks like a large “X”, so don’t be concerned if you aren’t familiar with the technical term. Remove the small metal piece beneath the “X” as well. Now, the main motherboard should just lift out easily. This is a fragile piece of the PlayStation 4 Pro, so don’t jostle the piece too much.
The shield you will encounter when you flip the console over is also a two-part design. To remove it, you will need to remove the smaller shield first then the larger one. Once again, this is just a matter of unscrewing as needed.
Now, we move onto the fan and drive units. By now, though, you can see a “hole”, so to speak, in half of your PlayStation, leaving it as a frame. If you don’t see only a frame for half your PlayStation, go back and make sure you haven’t skipped any steps up to this point.
The first thing to do here is to unscrew and remove the fan. If you purchased a PlayStation 4 at launch, you might notice that this fan – much like the heat sink you handled earlier – is much bigger. The drive unit also needs to be unscrewed. You will notice, though, that this is the same size as the launch version of the PlayStation 4.
Next, remove the antennas. As opposed to the launch PlayStation 4, the PlayStation 4 Pro has 2 antennas. These allow for more accurate Wi-Fi detection and are essential to your PlayStation 4 Pro, so handle them with care.
Then, you will remove the center panel for the PlayStation 4 Pro. You will then work on removing the buttons and the motherboards for them. After that, the LED motherboard; this is how your console lights up.
At this point, you should have the PS4 Pro completely torn down into pieces and frame. You can now carefully clean the system piece by piece with a microfiber cloth and compressed air as appropriate. To put the system back together, you can simply follow these instructions in the reverse.
Some online stores give us a small commission if you buy something through one of our links. Read our affiliate policy for more info.
Last update on 2019-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API