Looking for the best PS4 External Hard Drive? Want to find a top notch PS4 Internal Hard Drive? We have a list for both! Want to learn how to install a PS4 hard drive? Find that out in our guide as well. Everything you need to know all in one place.
A quick rundown of what is in this guide:
- A list of the best PS4 external hard drives
- Details covering the best PS4 internal hard drives
- Step by step instructions helping you to do a PS4 internal hard drive upgrade
- How to setup external hard drives for the PS4
- Answers to common questions about doing a PS4 hard drive upgrade
Having a high-end PS4 hard drive is very important in an active gamer’s life, because at a certain point you just won’t have any storage space left on your PlayStation system. In this case what you want is to get an awesome hard drive, which could store all your top AAA games. Making sure that you get the most for your buck is extremely important, as there is a large variety of drives on the market as of today.
Best Selling PS4 Hard Drive Comparisons
Don’t have time to read this guide? No problem. Below is a quick comparison of the top selling hard drives for PS4. 2 best-selling PS4 external hard drives and 1 PS4 internal hard drive Kit.
- 1 How do I pick out the best hard drive for PS4?
- 2 How to easily upgrade your PS4 hard drive
- 3 Top 9 external hard drives for PS4
- 4 Top 6 best internal hard drives for PS4
- 5 How to do a PS4 hard drive upgrade in 6 steps
- 6 How to setup your PS4 external hard drive
- 7 Reasons why upgrading a PS4 hard drive is a good idea
- 8 PS4 hard drive upgrade Q&A
How do I pick out the best hard drive for PS4?
It all depends on what meets your criteria. Do you need a lot of space? Do you want the best internal drive for your PS4, if so you have to ask yourself if you have the money for one? Maybe you are not a hardcore gamer and just want something cheap. In that case buying cheap hard drives often have negatives such as being too slow or not having enough memory space. Here is what you should look out for when trying to decide on the best PS4 hard drive upgrade:
- Memory space: The main reason to get a hard drive is for the space, so the more GB’s the better. If you are a casual gamer it is recommended to get a 500GB SSD drive. This should meet your needs perfectly as most games are around 25-50GB. If not then getting 1TB plus should be what you are after.
- Speed: The speed of your hard drive is another important factor, because it will determine how quickly your games will load. However, if you don’t mind waiting longer for games to load then getting a slower hard drive may be the better option.
- Price: How much are you willing to pay? Paying a lot of money for the best internal hard drive could instead go towards a few new games.
How to easily upgrade your PS4 hard drive
- Upgrade your Sony PS4 to a fast 1TB 7200RPM hard drive
- Boost performance and speed of your PS4
- Convert your existing internal PS4 drive to an external hard drive
- Package Includes: HGST 1TB 7200RPM hard drive, 8GB flash drive, Oyen Digital 2.5-inch hard drive enclosure and cable, Screwdriver
- 3 Year Warranty
Are you an average gamer who just wants to upgrade their PS4 hard drive but don’t know how? Then the Oyen Digital 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive Upgrade Kit for Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) might be perfect for you. As it is extremely easy to install, however if your just like any other newbie this can still be a tricky process so going on YouTube for a tutorial isn’t such a bad idea. Thus, making this one of the best PS4 hard drive upgrades that you can do, since it comes with a kit to get the job done.
TB HDD or 2.0 TB SSHD? Well, if you don’t want to spend as much money and are looking for only a small amount of space then 1TB should suit you just fine. However, have in mind that the HDD drives are usually slower than the SSHD in most cases. You have to look at the RPM in this case the 1.0 TB HDD has 7200 RPM compared to the original drive in the PS4 5400 RPM. This will surely boost the performance and speed of your PS4, in addition to adding more space.
However, if you want more space and even faster speeds then going for the 2.0 TB SSHD is the far better option. As the flash accelerated SSHD technology gives up to 40% quicker loading times compared to the HDDs. Also, when getting the Oyen Digital 2TB SSHD you get a 3 year warranty, 8GB flash drive, screwdriver, 2.5 Inch hard drive enclosure and cable. In conclusion this package should be one of the more newbie friendly on this list. In addition to being one of the easier hard drives to install.
Top 9 external hard drives for PS4
With so many incredible games on the PS4 it’s no wonder gamers are running out of storage space so quickly. One of the best PS4 accessories you can buy nowadays is an external hard drive to increase your storage. So if you’re looking for the best PS4 external hard drive to upgrade your storage space we’ve got a great list for you below.
For a long time now Xbox One owners have had access to external hard drives for Xbox One. The good news is thanks to the PS4 update 4.50, PlayStation owners are now able to plug in an external hard drive for PS4 and store games on it. You can finally double, triple, or even quadruple the amount of space thanks to the variety of PS4 external hard drives out on the market.
But here’s the catch: you can only use one at a time. If you’re already using one storage device on your PS4, you’ll receive an error message if you connect a different one. Whether Sony plans to eventually allow you to use multiple drives is yet to be known.
Since you can only use one, we’re guessing you want the best ps4 external hard drive you can buy. Below are the top recommended PS4 hard drives that are both reliable and a good deal. We included a mix of portable and desktop devices so you can find the perfect drive for you. And if you want more storage options then check out our list of internal hard drives for PS4 at the beginning of our guide.
Best PS4 external hard drive
- 2TB of capacity - Store 50+ games, no more deleting your favorite games
- High-speed USB 3.0 allows you full-speed gaming
- Plugs directly into any USB port on your PlayStation 4 console
- Simple guided setup through your PlayStation. Takes less than 3 minutes
- Built and tested for PS4 gaming - inside and out. Compatible with any generation of PS4 (system software version 4.5 or higher)
The Seagate 2TB Game Drive is our top pick for the best external hard drive for PS4. This is a PS4 hard drive that is quite similar to the Seagate hard drive built for Xbox One, which also has stellar reviews and is a top pick for Microsoft’s console.
If you’re looking for an external PS4 hard drive that is affordable and provides a good amount of storage, this is it. The Seagate Game Drive is very popular among PS4 gamers who want more storage for games. This can easily be seen by the amount of positive reviews this product gets.
The Seagate Game Drive is an external hard drive that was built and tested specifically for PS4 gaming. It is compatible with all generations of PlayStation 4 systems as long as you have software version 4.50 or higher installed.
The Seagate 2TB hard drive can store up to 50+ games and features high-speed USB 3.0. It plugs right into any available USB port on the PS4 and first-time setup takes only a few minutes.
One of the best benefits of owning a portable external hard drive like the Seagate Game Drive is no longer having to delete games. You’ll have plenty of room for new games with the 2TB (1.84 TB actually) of storage it provides. It’s a very reliable device from a very trusted hard drive manufacturer.
It’s also worth noting that because you can store your games on the external hard drive you can take them with you wherever you go. If you go to your family or friend’s home you can bring your Seagate Game Drive with you and play your games there easily. You can load your games on another PS4 by simply signing into your PlayStation Network account. The drive is very small and fits right into your pocket so traveling with it is not a problem at all.
Another great thing about the Seagate Game Drive is that it’s a plug and play USB device with the cable included. This means there is absolutely no need for you to open the PS4 console to expand your storage like you would have to with an internal hard drive for PS4.
- Black with blue aluminum enclosure making it sleek and tough
- USB powered so no extra power adapter needed
- Easily install games straight from disc or download directly to the drive
- Compatible with PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro
A few things to note about the Seagate Game Drive is that it is not a Solid-State Drive and it is not compatible with PS3. So, if that is something that you really need to have in a PS4 hard drive, you should check out our other hard drive options on this page.
Again, we highly recommend the Seagate 2TB Game Drive for PS4 gamers who want to upgrade their storage space. It’s very affordable, nicely designed, highly portable, and is specifically tailored for the PS4.
Runner-up for best PS4 external hard drive
- Expand your PS4 gaming experience
- Play anywhere
- Fast and easy setup
- Sleek design with high capacity
- 3-year manufacturer's limited warranty
Another PS4 external hard drive designed to provide you with adequate storage space is the WD 2TB Gaming Drive. The WD Gaming Drive is one of the newer portable hard drives specifically designed to work with the PS4.
The WD 2TB Gaming Drive is easy to setup and has a sleek design with plenty of storage capacity for your games. It comes in both 2TB and 4TB versions.
Top of the line 4TB external hard drive
- Auto backup with included WD Backup software
- Password protection with hardware encryption
- Trusted drive built with WD reliability
- USB 3.0 port; USB 2.0 compatible. SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7. Requires reformatting for Mac OS X operating system
- 3-year manufacturer's limited warranty
Western Digital is known for providing amazing data storage devices, and this one is no exception. The WD My Passport comes in four different storage sizes, including a very affordable 4TB version. It’s a fantastic price and well worth the extra few bucks you’d pay when compared to the 3TB version.
Each My Passport comes with a sleek, unique design that’s unmatched by most other external hard drives. This great PS4 hard drive also features WD Backup software, password protection with hardware encryption, and a choice from six different colors. The ports are USB 3.0 but USB 2.0 is also supported.
One of the best 7200 RPM hard drives for PS4
- Stylish, ultra-portable aluminum enclosure in your choice of Ruby, Gold, Platinum or Silver
- Your choice of 500GB or 1TB capacities
- Transfer faster with featured USB 3.0 interface and 7200RPM hard drive, up to 23% faster than 5400RPM drives
- Two levels of protection, with preloaded local back up software and 3GB of FREE cloud backup
- Cloud backup allows access to your content anywhere, anytime
At first glance, you’ll likely notice that both the 500GB and 1TB are a bit pricier when compared to other devices with the same size. So why did we add it to our list, you ask? Because it may be the best PS4 external hard drive you can buy that boasts a 7200 RPM drive.
Most other drives spin at 5400 RPM, which means the HGST Touro S has the power to reduce loading times while playing games. The only downside is that there isn’t an option higher than 1TB, so check this out if you care more about performance than space.
Best external solid-state drive for PS4
- Portable Design with Internal SSD-level Performance
- Superfast Read-Write Speeds of up to 450 MB/s
- Shock Resistant & Secure Encryption
- Compatible with PC, Mac, & Android OS
If you have your heart set on something powerful yet portable, this is the best external hard drive for PS4 for you. The Samsung T3 Portable SSD costs much more than all the other devices on this list, but it will also give you the greatest performance boost. The use of advanced solid-state drive technology also means it’s more resistant to physical shock and runs much quieter.
Loading times are cut drastically short thanks to data transfer speeds of up to 450MB/s, while its portable design lets you take it anywhere you want without any hassle. No matter which of the four storage size versions you choose,you get an impressive 3-year limited warranty. If money’s no object and you’re serious about improving your game’s performance, this is the drive to grab.
Affordable 4TB PS4 external hard drive
- Auto backup with included WD Backup software and Time Machine compatibility
- Password protection with hardware encryption
- Trusted storage built with WD reliability
- USB 3.0 port; USB 2.0 compatible
- 3-year manufacturer's limited warranty
With games like Batman: Arkham Knight and Grand Theft Auto V requiring install sizes of over 40GB, it’s no surprise you need more space. For the dedicated gamer with an ever-growing library of games we recommend investing in at least 3 or 4TB of storage. If this sounds like you, Western Digital’s My Book has you covered.
This external desktop hard drive comes available in four different sizes. Of course, we recommend the 4TB since it’s a steal for the price as it’s not much more than the 3TB version. How can you pass up an entire terabyte of storage for just a little bit more money? The My Book also comes with all the neat features WD usually packs into their products.
A hard drive with 5 different storage choices
- High-speed USB 3.0 and 2.0 connectivity offers plug-and-play functionality on your PC.
- Install the NTFS driver for Mac, and you can use the drive interchangeably between Windows and Mac computers without reformatting.
- Run a one-click backup or schedule an automatic backup plan to protect your files in your Backup Plus desktop drive at your convenience with Seagate Dashboard software
- Works interchangeably on PC and Mac computers-without needing to reformat
This is one of those products that’s so hot it’s occasionally out of stock on Amazon. Not only does it come in six different storage sizes but it also boasts two USB 3.0 ports. You can use one port for your PS4 and the other to charge your phone or other devices.
The Seagate Backup plus (desktop version) is also ranked high among the quickest file transfer rates. If you’re interested in reducing loading times and getting you back in the action quicker, this is the best PS4 external hard drive for you. The free 200GB of cloud storage you get for registering your device is also a huge bonus.
Durable design and quick transfer speeds
- Easy-to-use desktop hard drive-simply plug in the power adapter and USB cable; fast file transfers with USB 3.0/2.0
- System Requirements: Windows 8, Windows 7 operating system
- Drag-and-drop file saving for Windows, right out of the box
- For Mac compatibility this hard drive requires reformatting. Reformatting the drive will erase all content unless it is backed up to another drive. Refer to Application Guide for guidance on this.
This is another Seagate device with a great reputation for being both reliable and affordable. We especially recommend the 5TB and 8TB versions since they normally sells for less than competing drives of the same capacity. It’s hard to find 3TB of storage for less than $100 anywhere else.
Other benefits of the Seagate Expansion is its durable design and quick transfer speeds. It also offers both USB 3.0 and 2.0 compatibility and does away with any installation steps. All you need to do is plug in the power cable and USB cable and you’re ready to go.
Super portable and ultra slim
- The thinnest 1TB and 2TB portable hard drive on the market with a uniquely tough and textured metal design
- Complements all your other mobile devices-available in contemporary gold or platinum colors; take advantage of Seagate's reliable, cutting-edge 2.5-inch, 7mm HDD technology
- Create easy customized backup plans with the included Seagate Dashboard software; quick file transfer with USB 3.0 connectivity
- The external hard drive is USB-powered, meaning no extra power supply is necessary
- Includes 2-month complimentary membership to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan. Must redeem by January 31, 2020
Seagate’s Backup Plus Ultra Slim is the best PS4 external hard drive if you want one that’s barely noticeable while hooked up. It’s 7mm thick and weighs less than half a pound, which also makes it super portable if you plan to move your PS4 HDD around a lot. Although it only comes in two colors (Platinum and Gold), its textured metal design sets it apart from other dull-looking devices.
We recommend the Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim 2TB version as it’s one of the best prices you’ll find online for a portable hard drive. other great features include transfer speeds of up to 120MB/s, USB 3.0 support, and 2 years of OneDrive cloud storage when you register your device. The 2TB version is normally less than $100 on Amazon— a great price as far as portal drives go.
Small, light, and easy to move
- External portable hard drive formatted for Windows out of the box
- Drag-and-drop file saving
- USB 3.0 powered
- For Mac compatibility this hard drive requires reformatting. Reformatting the drive will erase all content unless it is backed up to another drive. Refer to Application Guide for guidance on this
This portable version of the Seagate Expansion costs more than its desktop counterpart but is also much smaller and lighter. This is one of the better PS4 hard drives if you want to increase your storage space but also want something compact and easy to move between rooms or to a friend’s house.
You have a choice of four different storage capacities with the Seagate Expansion 2TB Portable External Hard Drive, all of which offer both USB 3.0 and 2.0 compatibility. It requires no installation process nor do you need to plug it into an AC— it powers directly via the USB port. While it beats most other portable drives in terms of transfer speeds, a drawback is a lack of backup software and a short 12 month warranty.
Then perhaps you need to narrow down exactly what you’re looking for.
We suggest the portable hard drive options if you want something that can fit in your pocket, won’t take up space near your console, and powers via the USB port. Of course, these devices also tend to be more expensive and also susceptible to data loss or electronic failure from damage.
On the other hand, the desktop external hard drives are your best bet if you want to spend less for the same storage. Plus they’re also much more durable and sometimes offer superior data transfer speeds. The drawback is a need for more space, less portability, and the need to have a free AC plug nearby.
Top 6 best internal hard drives for PS4
When it comes to storage space on the PS4 you’ll find that you become very limited on hard drive space eventually. There are just way too many great games available nowadays. And if you’re a digital download only gamer, storage space can run out really quickly. Luckily you have a lot of option when it comes to upgrading your PS4 hard drive storage. In this section we’ll be covering some of the most recommended internal hard drives for your PlayStation 4. But don’t forget we also have a section covering external PS4 hard drives as well.
Below is our list for the best hard drive options for the PlayStation 4. We’ve listed not just PS4 hard drives but the Nyko Data Bank which gives you the option to upgrade your PS4 hard drive with 3.5 inch bare drives.
Best 2TB Solid State Hard Drive for PS4
- Fastest 2.5-Inch PC compute and gaming Hard Drive on the market, all within a thin 7mm z-height
- Enormous 500GB, 1TB and 2TB options. The 2TB capacity can store up to 80x 25GB games
- Flash-accelerated technology delivers up to 5x faster load times for nonstop performance, play and productivity compared to standard HDDs
- Adaptive Memory technology efficiently identifies frequently accessed data to allow for quicker operations
- Multi-tier caching technology (mtc) boosts performance, helping applications and files load faster
The Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD drive is one of the best PS4 drives on the market today, due to it being one of the fastest. Clocking at 6.0GB/s this hard drive should meet any gamers needs. As of today it is the fastest 2.5 Inch PC computer and gaming hard drive on the market. Meaning that you don’t need to get the more modern 3.5 inches as the Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD can compete with them. Not to mention with it being 2.5 Inches it will take up less space, also being within a thin 7mm z-height.
But don’t 3.5 Inch hard drives hold more space than 2.5 Inch ones? The answer to that is no, because since the 2.5 drive is smaller it will be more expensive compared to a 3.5 Inch drive if they hold the same amount of space. If money is not a problem then going for the Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB is one of the best options out there. The 2TB’s should be more than enough as it can hold up to 100+ games. Also, compared to standard HDDs this hard drive has Flash accelerated technology, which can deliver up to 5 times faster loading times for nonstop performances.
One of the great things about this PS4 hard drive is that it has adaptive memory technology, which can identify data that is actively used. Meaning if you play a certain game a lot more than others the hard drive will notice this and load that specific game faster. In addition it has multi-tier caching technology, which helps to boosts performance and load files/applications faster.
Best option for 3.5 inch hard drives
- Save money and get more storage with a 3.5" hard drive over 2.5" drives
- The faster read/write speed of 3.5" hard drive may improve load times of most games
- LED indicators illustrate when the PS4 is saving content or accessing the hard drive.
- Power pass-through cord utilizes the standard PS4 power cord to power the hard drive - Does not require its own power outlet
- Modular - Compatible with other Nyko modular items for PS4
The first product we will be look at on this list is the Nyko Data Bank for the PlayStation 4, although being really big this hard drive will only add up to 2TB of storage. One of the top positives of the this hard drive is it being 3.5 inches long compared to the standard 2.5 inches, which means this drive will hold a lot more space. Also, it being 3.5 inches it is worth the money as it holds more space than the 2.5 inch drives. However, like most products the Nyko Data Bank has a few faults such as it is not compatible with the PS4 slim or the PS4 PRO.
Have you ever progressed so far into a game just to have the screen freeze and then have to play from the last check point? This is something that frustrates all gamers, which can lead to raging or even quitting the game all together. With this high-end hard drive it will show you when it is saving or accessing data with its LED indicators. This could help you remember to save right before you get into a tricky part of a game.
The Nyko Data Bank is one of the cheaper hard drives on this list, but don’t let the price fool you. Although not costing a lot this hard drive has many benefits making it one of the best PS4 hard drive upgrades that you can do.
In conclusion, this is a brilliant hard drive for anybody looking for something under 100 dollars, easy to install, also bringing more than 1TB to the table. This is the high-end hard drive that the casual gamer is looking for to improve their gaming experience.
1TB PS4 hard drive upgrade
- 1TB of Capacity
- Advanced Format, industry standard 4K sector size
- 512 byte emulation (512e)
- 7200 RPM high-performance HDD
- 6Gb/s SATA interface; Please refer the Application Guide before use.
Another great option for a PS4 hard drive that is under $100 is the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM. This is an excellent choice if you are looking for something that is not too expensive and really fast. With the drive being 7200 RPM this means that is much faster than the stock PS4. And not to mention the 6GB/s SATA interface which is the fastest out of all the SATA interfaces.
Do I choose speed or storage? This depends on if you need your games to load fast or not. Also, how much storage do you really need? 1TB is usually more than enough for any gamer. However, if all you play is the AAA games, which take up around 50GB for each game, then going for more than 1TB could be better. Unless you know that your games won’t take up lots of storage then the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III is the best PS4 upgrade that you can do.
As speed is one of the main stats in any hard drive the HGST Travelstar is by far one of the fastest on the market. If you are like any other gamer the waiting time and loading screens just get to annoying at a certain point. With this hard drive waiting times are tremendously reduced as it is running the latest SATA III. In addition, when buying this PS4 hard drive you get the option of having it with expert installation meaning that they can transfer existing files to your new files. In which case you won’t even have to struggle with the technical side of things, however this will cost an extra buck.
Another 2TB PS4 hard drive
- QuietStep technology enables ultra-quiet load/unload acoustics
- Enormous 2TB capacity 9.5MM height
- 5400 RPM performance
- 6Gb/s SATA interface
- Perfect for laptop and small form factor PC and Mac computers
Looking for something that is fast and holds a lot of storage? Well look no further as the Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD might be the best hard drive for PS4. Although being made for laptops it is also compatible with PlayStation 4. This hard drive is one of the smaller ones on this list being a 2.5 Inch form factor and also being 100mm x 70mm x 9mm in size it fits in your PS4.
However, you will need to upgrade your PS4 to the latest firmware. Although not being the fastest hard drive on the market this hard drive holds a ton of space up to 2TB. The price to storage ratio of this hard drive is competitive and certainly a bargain in the marketplace. It also has the SATA III with 6.0GB/S interface making your console work a lot faster. So if storage is what you are looking for then the Seagate 2TB HDD SATA III is one of the best options on the market.
Should I get a hard drive that is made specifically for the PS4? Getting a drive made for the PlayStation 4 is not always the better option as no new Sony drives can offer all the competitive features. Most people make the mistake of getting a product just because it was made by the original company, however by doing that you could end up paying more for something that you can get for less. For example the Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD SATA III although made for laptops it works perfectly well on the PlayStation 4 and it costs less than most expensive hard drives.
Inexpensive 1TB hard drive for PS4
- The SATA interface 5,400 RPM notebook series hard disk drives are designed for mainstream applications requiring power-efficiency and reliability from their storage solution.
- Serial ATA (SATA) is a serial interface that can operate at speeds up to 6Gb/s. SATA is scalable and enables easy integration, high performance, and efficient system designs. SATA is the evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA (PATA) storage interface.
- Ramp Load technology restricts the drive's recording head from touching the disk media, resulting in improved protection of the drive while being transported and less wear to the recording head.
- Optimized for use in power-friendly consumer and commercial computing systems, the drive's power management technology provides significant power consumption savings at 4.5 watts spin up (start), and 0.18 watts (or less) standby and sleep power requirements.
- Toshiba's advanced servo techniques and mechanical design minimizes drive acoustics, making them as silent as possible during operation.
An excellent choice is the Toshiba 1TB 5400RPM SATA3 as it is one of the best internal hard drives for PS4. Also it is one of the cheapest items on this list. In addition it can come in 3 sizes 1TB, 320GB and 500GB. This hard drive is well protected as the ramp load technology restricts the drive’s recording head from touching the disk meaning the drive will be more protected whiles moving the console around.
This drive will use much less power than the average hard drive. It even saves power consumption up to 4.5watts, thus even while gaming you are helping the environment. Ever get annoyed that your console starts making loading noises? Well Toshiba’s advanced servo techniques and design minimizes the noise level almost making it silent during operation. This contributes to it being one of the best PS4 internal hard drives out there. This hard drive also has the SATA interface 5,400 RPM which is excellent for mainstream applications.
How much money should I spend on a hard drive? The amount you want to spend on a hard drive depends on what your needs are. For example, the Toshiba 1TB 5400RPM SATA3 costing around $50 is perfect for any gamer who is looking to just add storage space to their system. Going for the 1TB is more appealing as most games today range from 25GB to 50GB. Therefore, buying the 320GB is going to be somewhat restrictive. Also, if you don’t know how to transfer your old data to your new hard drive you could also pay an extra amount to have the company expertly install your hard drive. Overall, you could argue that for a certain type of user this is the best hard drive for PS4.
Best 1TB Solid State Hard Drive for PlayStation 4
- Solid State Hybrid Drive, boots and performs like an SSD
- 9.5mm drive for mobile devices, add capacity without adding complexity to get more from your PC, Mac, tablet or game console
- Up to 4x faster than traditional 5400-RPM HDD. Ideal for gaming and performance laptop
- Easy Playstation upgrade up to 500GB capacity without void warranty
- 64MB Cache with 8GB NAND Flash for more speed, cost efficient. Now with a 5 year warranty
To round up our best hard drive for PS4 list is the Seagate 1TB Gaming SSHD, which represents good value for money spent. When picking out a hard drive for your PS4 the main things you should be focusing on is storage and speed. This Seagate 1TB Gaming SSHD offers both of these things having up to 1TB of storage and SATA 6GB/s. Most of the best PS4 hard drives don’t offer both of these things, however with this hard drive you are going to have shorter loading screens and more storage to play with.
With most PS4’s having a RPM speed of 5400 this hard drive can go up to 4x times that. Making this one of the fastest hard drive’s on this list. In addition to that this PS4 drive has a warranty of 5 years, which is better than most hard drives. Even though this is a Solid State Hybrid Drive it performs just like an SSD making it even more of a good deal.
There is an option to go for a 500GB version, however that is not recommended as the 1TB version is not that much more expensive. Like most hard drives there is an option to have it expertly installed so if you have no idea what you are doing you could give this a try. Just note that having it expertly installed will cost a lot more money. When having the hard drive expertly installed they will transfer any data that you would like to your new PS4 hard drive.
A recap of what we’ve talked about
Now that you know some of the best options on the market it is up to you to decide which one you want to go for. Ending up with the best hard drive for PS4 contributes towards the gaming experience so take the time to get the right one. They may all look alike at first, but if you do your research you will soon see the big differences between them such as speed, storage and durability just to name a few. Don’t settle for the first one you come across, but instead take the time to find something that suits your needs.
Durability is another important factor when deciding to buy one of the best internal hard drives for PS4. Imagine playing a game for hours only to find out the data has been corrupted. This is a gamer’s worst nightmare so going for something more durable is very important. Also, look at the warranty on the hard drive. Try to find one that has 3 years or more, otherwise you could be left with an unusable product.
When it comes to price it will be a personal choice in terms of what funds you have available. It’s worth getting a higher end PS4 hard drive as the chances of the item breaking are significantly smaller. In addition try looking for a hard drive that is not made by Sony as they tend to be a lot cheaper and the specifications are pretty much exactly the same. However, if you don’t have the money to spend on an internal hard drive then going for the Nyko Data Bank may be the option for you.
If speed is something you are looking when searching for the best internal hard drives for PS4 then getting something with SATA 3 is something you should keep an eye out for. As the SATA III has speeds up to 6GB/s which is much faster than the SATA 2. Also be on the lookout for RPM meaning revolutions per minute – the higher the RPM the faster the hard drive. You should try getting a drive that is around 7200 RPM, which is much faster than the original PS4 5400RPM.
As you can see most drives on this list have around 1TB to 2TB of storage space with a few exceptions. The more space you want the more it will cost you, but don’t let that scare you away. Often the differences between 1TB and 2TB hard drives are around $50. It mainly depends on the gamer and if he plays a wide variety of computer games. The more blockbuster games today are around 25-50GB’s, so running out of space quickly is a possibility. On the other hand, lower-end games take a lot less space, so if you aren’t a hardcore gamer 1TB should be more than enough.
We hope that this article helped you pick out a solid hard drive for your system. As you can tell there is a wide range of different options available and finding something that meets your needs shouldn’t be that hard. Consider each hard drive on this list, compare them and at the advantages/disadvantages of each one.
How to do a PS4 hard drive upgrade in 6 steps
Has your PS4 hard drive broken down or do you simply need to upgrade to a better PS4 hard drive? Then you have come to the right place as this guide on how to do a PS4 hard drive upgrade will provide all the tips and advice you’ll need to execute a PS4 hard drive replacement.
If you’re the type of console gamer that has never made alterations to their console then you might be worried about the complexity of the task. However, you’ll see that performing a PS4 hard drive is not an intimidating process at all. The entire process should only take you around 15-20 minutes – even if you’re doing it for the very first time.
Think of this process as maintenance to increase the lifetime of your PS4 console. Making a hard drive upgrade can improve the gaming experience. Therefore, it is worth the financial and time investment taken to upgrade.
You might be thinking:
The reason I bought a console is because I don’t like to play around with the hardware, I just want a ‘plug and play’ system.
Even for those of you that might be put off by the hands-on approach with performing a PS4 hard drive replacement will be surprised by how easy Sony has made it to perform the upgrade.
1. The correct hard drive to choose
Before doing anything you’ll need to select the right hard drive for your needs and one that is compatible with your version of the PS4. This process can be a little confusing if you’re not knowledgeable about hard drives. However, we have got you covered with our list of the best internal hard drives for PlayStation 4 located in this guide where you can learn how to select the right one and what the best ones are. It will save you time during the selection process.
The various factors you’ll need to consider when selecting a hard drive include the speed, storage space, price and operational noise. Also some hard drives have specific advantageous technologies such as allowing the games you play most often to be loaded faster. Once you have chosen the correct hard drive it’s time to begin the process of installing it.
The PS4 requires a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive, which is made use of in slim external devices and laptops. The height of the hard drive should not exceed 9.5mm, because of the limitations of the inner casing of the PS4. This is somewhat limiting, because a lot of the 2TB hard drives are larger than the 9.5mm limit. However, as you’ll learn later in the Q&A section of this guide there are ways you can overcome this.
What you’ll need to perform the upgrade
- The new hard drive
- MicroUSB cable
- PS4 controller
- PC or laptop that’s connected to the internet
- FAT32 USB HDD or USB stick of up to 8 GB storage
- Philips screwdriver
2. Back up your PS4
You’ll need to back up the data in your PS4 so that you don’t lose all of the saves and PS4 games on your hard drive. If you’re like the average PS4 owner then you probably have a lot of game saves that represent hours of hard work. During a PS4 upgrade this data can be vulnerable and backing it up can prevent the catastrophic scenario of losing it.
For those of you that are subscribed to PlayStation Plus do not need to go through the hassle of backing up data as all of your data is saved to the cloud. Having said that, it doesn’t hurt to be extra careful and backup the data to an external hard drive or USB stick. If you have limited space to play with then you can select the data that is most valuable to you. Perhaps there is a game that you just cannot live without, or a game save that represents something you’re proud of – maybe completing Dark Souls 3 on the hardest mode.
To back up the data insert the drive and in the PS4 menu go to the settings and then the “application saved data management”. Click on saved data game system storage and you’ll have access to an option that enables you to copy files to a USB stick. The files you want to transfer have to be selected individually for each game. To save time and space you should leave out any games that you do not plan on playing again.
3. Uncovering the hard drive
Once the data has been backed up you are free to begin the physical process of upgrading the PS4 hard drive. If there is a disc in the PS4 then take it out, and if the PS4 is on standby mode then hold the power button to turn it off completely. Remove all cables from the PS4 so that it’s unplugged.
Place the PS4 on a flat and comfortable surface where you can work. There is a shiny top plate that needs to be removed by sliding it to the side. There is only a plastic clip holding this lid in place, so no screwdriver is required to unfasten any screws.
Underneath the plastic cover is the “skeleton” of the PS4, but don’t worry about doing any damage here as it’s well protected. The hard drive will now be exposed and access is easy.
On the other hand, if you have a PS4 Slim then you’ll need to go to the left-hand corner at the rear of the console. There is a plastic clip that needs to be removed in order to get access to the hard drive.
With the PS4 Pro you need to place the console upside down on a flat surface and remove the small plastic panel – it’s as simple as that.
Overall, Sony has made it easy to upgrade your PS4 hard drive by providing straightforward access. You do not need to have any technical knowledge or particular skills to get the job done – even if you’re doing it for the very first time.
4. Replace PS4 hard drive
The caddy (inner casing) of the PS4 will come in full view after taking one more step. Using a Philips screwdriver remove a screw that holds the frame in place. How do you find the right screw to take out? It is the largest one that you’ll see and it is inlaid with the PS button icons. After the screw has been unscrewed remove the casing horizontally for full access to the hard drive.
Now you can remove the hard drive by unscrewing 4 more screws that hold it in place. These can also be removed by using the Philips screwdriver. There are rubber bits that the screws rest on to absorb shock. You do not need to take these out, but instead leave them in place. Make sure they do not shake loose and get lost.
5. The new PS4 hard drive
Once the casing is empty all you need to do is place the new hard drive where the old one was. Remember the orientation of the old hard drive so that you can place the new one in there correctly on your first try. Also remember the process of unscrewing the screws that were required to access the inner casing. This process needs to be reversed once you have to put it in back together again.
Do you have a problem of fitting your new hard drive into the casing? Then you need to double check that it is indeed 9.5mm in size and it’s a 2.5 inch SATA drive. It’s important that these parameters are met for the hard drive to fit in the PS4 console.
6. Downloading the PS4 Software
The new hard drive will be blank and requires you to install the PlayStation operating system. The old hard drive has the OS, but the new one will be completely blank. The software must be downloaded in standalone form by making use of another computer. That’s why you need a laptop or PC to complete the installation process. Don’t worry, this process is very easy and won’t take more than a 5 minutes. However, if you have a slow internet connection then downloading the OS will take some time.
The software can be found at the official PlayStation website and is around 1 GB in size. The amount of time it takes to download this will depend on the speed of your internet connection.
Installing an external hard drive for PS4
You can also perform an external hard drive installation to add even more storage space to your setup (we have a section for the PS4 external hard drive upgrade on this page as well). To get this done you’ll need to use the PS4 4.5 firmware update via a USB 3.0 and the hard drive should have no more than 8 TB of space.
Once the external drive is connected to the PS4 you can begin the download process, add apps/add-ons onto it and save/install games. Go to the home PS4 screen to be able to access the external hard drive. For organizational purposes you can transfer files from an internal hard drive to the external one.
How to do a PS4 hard drive upgrade (Video)
For those of you who care to follow along with a video here is a step by step guide on how to do a PS4 hard drive upgrade by Mark the Geek.
How to setup your PS4 external hard drive
Now that the PS4 supports external hard drives you may be wondering how to setup your PS4 external hard drive. Don’t worry, setting up an external hard drive on your PS4 is fast and simple. It only takes a few minutes and this is how you do it.
If you need additional storage for your PS4 check out our list of the best PS4 external hard drives located in this guide above. If you’d like more PS4 storage options we also have a list for the top PS4 internal hard drives along with a guide on how to install the hard drives all located on this page.
What you need to setup your PS4 external hard drive
First you have to make sure that you use an external hard drive with a USB 3.0 connection. Right now the PS4 will recognize a storage capacity starting from 250GB up to 8TB of hard drive storage. You also will need to format the external hard drive for use with the PlayStation 4.
Note that you can only use one formatted PS4 external hard drive because the PS4 will only recognize one at a time. You can’t format more than one drive so if you haven’t bought a PS4 external hard drive yet, consider investing in a large enough storage capacity. We recommend at least 2TB.
The external hard drive needs to be connected directly to the PS4 USB slot. You cannot use USB hubs.
PS4 external hard drive setup
- Connect the external hard drive’s USB 3.0 cable to one of the front ports of the PS4.
- A message should let you know that the USB device is not supported. This is where you will begin the formatting process for your hard drive.
- Go to Settings then to Devices then find USB Storage Devices.
- Under USB Storage Devices find your hard drive and click on Format as Extended Storage.
- Click Next, click Format, click Yes, then select Ok to proceed.
It should then take a minute or so to format your PS4 external hard drive for use with your console. Once the formatting is complete the external hard drive should now be recognized in the Settings menu under Storage as Extended Storage.
Here’s a great video by Slingshot Gamer on how to do a PS4 external hard drive setup:
The new default destination for any downloadable digital game from here on will be your external hard drive. All your game data saves, screenshots, and videos will be stored on the internal hard drive, not the external hard drive. You can always change your internal hard drive back to the default storage destination for games if you wish to in the future.
How to move PS4 games to an external hard drive
If you want to move your games from the internal hard drive to the external hard drive you can easily do so.
- Go to the Settings menu then Storage and then System Storage.
- Click on Applications and then press the Options button on your DualShock 4.
- Select Move to Extended Storage, choose your game(s) to transfer and then click Move.
Do not ever disconnect your external hard drive while the PS4 is running. If you should wish to disconnect the external hard dive all you need to do is go to Settings, then Devices, then USB Storage Devices and click Stop Using This Extended Storage.
Reasons why upgrading a PS4 hard drive is a good idea
Are you considering to upgrade a PS4 hard drive, but aren’t sure if it is worth the hassle? Here are some of the biggest reasons why having a new one installed makes perfect sense.
- Old one is broken: if the old drive is broken then you have no choice but to upgrade to a new one. However, it might not always be as clear cut as that. At times an existing hard drive may seem to be functioning, but in reality it’s providing very slow loading times and the data is in danger of being corrupted. You need to pay attention to the signs that indicate a hard drive is reaching its expiry date. These signs include louder than usual operational noise or weird sounds, longer loading times and randomly corrupt data.
- Improvements in speed: it might be the case that upgrading to a new hard drive provides much quicker loading times leading to a more enjoyable experience. If you’re the type of gamer that hates sitting around waiting for a game to load up then investing in the fastest hard drive around might be a good investment of your money.
- Extra storage space: it can be frustrating having to decide what games to delete and which ones to keep because you’re running out of storage space. Why not avoid this issue altogether by simply investing in a hard drive that has more space. Nowadays you can install 2TB hard drives that should provide enough space for more games than you’ll ever have on your PS4. If that’s not enough, then adding an external drive can do the trick.
PS4 hard drive upgrade Q&A
Here are some of the more common questions that you might be asking during an install of your PS4 hard drive:
Q: Should I install an external or internal hard drive?
A: This depends on your preferences and if you need to take the hard drive to another location such as to your friend’s house. Installing an external hard drive might be easier, but an internal one is neatly hidden away inside the console, thereby not taking up any additional desk space. Also you might find that for the same price internal hard drives provide more space than the external ones.
Q: I don’t have an internet connection, can I still perform the PS4 hard drive upgrade?
A: No matter what you need to install the PS4 software and to get that an internet connection is required. If you do not have a connection at home then nowadays there are plenty of locations where you can get access. This includes internet cafes, regular cafes, a friend’s house, perhaps ask a neighbor or even inside public transport. Make sure that you have a USB stick with 2GB of space and it is formatted to the FAT32 file system.
Q: The internal hard drive doesn’t fit inside the console. What do I do?
A: Make sure that the height of the hard drive doesn’t exceed 9.5mm and it’s a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive. If you have bought a hard drive that is too big for the console there is nothing that you can do if you want to install the hard drive internally. You’ll need to return it and exchange it for a compatible one.
If you do not mind increasing the size of your PS4 then you can invest in a Nyko DataBank, which allows you to connect bigger hard drives than the size restrictions mentioned above. Alternatively, you can connect the hard drive via a SATA cable, but that means the hard drive will need to be kept outside of the PS4 console.
Q: How do I ensure no data is lost during the PS4 hard drive upgrade?
A: The best way to ensure that the data such as game saves and the games themselves are safely backed up during installation is the PlayStation Plus service. This allows you to save the data in a cloud that is located on the Sony servers. This means that if you’re hard drive breaks completely you will not use any data.
Q: Why does the new hard drive not work after installing it?
A: Have you installed the firmware on the new hard drive? If not then you must execute this step, because a new hard drive will be completely blank. You can install the firmware by navigating to the PlayStation official website and the size of the download for the installation is around 1GB in size.
Q: Should I get a faster hard drive or one that provides more storage space?
A: For those of you that don’t have the money to upgrade in both departments and have to make a decision between speed and space then you’ll need to consider your own personal gaming requirements. If you are constantly running out of space and need to delete games then perhaps opting for more space is a good idea. On the other hand, if you don’t need the extra space then you can benefit from the extra speed which means loading times will be lower, and that’s worth investing in for a more optimal gaming experience.
As you might have gathered the process of executing a PS4 hard drive upgrade is not that difficult to achieve for the average console owner. You need a minimal amount of tools and up to 20 minutes of your time. Even if you feel like you are not very savvy with technology the steps required to swap the internal hard drives is made easy. This is in part due to how Sony has designed their console to be easily accessible for the owner.
The benefits of upgrading such as faster speeds, more space and higher levels of reliability are worth the financial investment and the time it takes to perform the installation. You’ll have a better gaming experience and if you are a proud PS4 owner then this upgrade is a no-brainer.
We hope that by now you can clearly understand the different steps it takes to successfully perform the PS4 hard drive replacement process. Check out the video and replay it several times to get further insight into how to execute every step mentioned.
Some online stores give us a small commission if you buy something through one of our links. Read our affiliate policy for more info.
Latest posts by Martynas Pupkevicius (see all)
- 9 Best PS4 External Hard Drives and 6 Best PS4 Internal Hard Drives - January 16, 2019
- Top 22 Best Racing Wheels for PC and Console Gaming - July 1, 2018
- Sennheiser GAME ZERO Gaming Headset Review - June 27, 2018
Last update on 2019-04-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API