Have you ever found yourself in a predicament where you needed to track your children’s whereabouts? In some jurisdictions and municipalities, children as young as 8 years old can walk to and from school. If you are a concerned parent, you can invest in a GPS tracker watch for your beloved offspring. It might be kind of hard to find the best GPS watch for kids out there as the multitude of choices can be confusing, but they do exist.
Some GPS watches for kids only offer Bluetooth pairing. Others only provide fitness tracking. They all look the same with their colorful and bright exteriors. For true GPS tracking, you will need to look at a GPS tracker watch for kids that has a SIM and data-plans.
Best Selling GPS Watches for Kids
In a hurry and want to quickly browse a bestseller’s list? No problem. We’ve put together the top selling GPS watches for kids below.
- GPS + AGPS + LBS (Base Station Location) : kids smart watch, triple mode positioning means double safety for children, Realize all-day real-time location tracking, more accurate positioning, children just click SOS to connect the phone, At the same time, parents can check the location anytime, anywhere by SMS, website, IOS or Android APP.
- A VARIETY OF FUNCTIONS : smart watch phone, two-way call, SOS emergency call, GPS + LBS positioning, activity tracking, voice chat, anti loss, stopwatch, night flashlight, remote voice monitoring, remote camera, Parents can control and set the watch through the application.
- SOS ENERGENCY CALL: The phone smart watch can be set to three phone numbers,press and hold the SOS button for 3 seconds when in an emergency. ,it will ring three numbers. When no one answers, dial two rounds until you answer it. Watches can be sent text messages to the guardian number, at the same time APP will send an alarm notification.This is so important in an emergency situation.
- CLASSES DO NOT DISTURB MODE : parents can be set inside the app inside the anti-busting time, watch lock screen in this period of time, the child banned use, isolated calls. Maintain normal class order.
- TIPS : Watch as an unlocked GSM mobile phone, support micro SIM card, we recommend SPEEDTALK SIM (belonging to T-mobile network), watch SIM card needs to be enabled GPRS function and caller ID function, must be compatible with 2g of data traffic, watches currently only use 2g of data traffic.
- This is a 3G WCDMA GPS Smart Watch and a Cell Phone GPS Tracker, a superb choice for personal safety. You can track its location in real time anywhere anytime. We offer lifetime free service for Android and IOS application software as well as web tracking platform. If you need to use this watch outside the United States, please contact us for another version. Our YouTube vedio about how to use this watch: youtu.be/KyUs3mbZ6Ww
- SOS emergency call: Users can just press SOS button to circularly call family numbers for help in case of an emergency. Phone Call: Besides serving as a GPS tracker, this watch can also work as a cell phone to make phone calls. When you go to SIM operator stores, sales guys may tell you our watch can not support their SIM cards. No worries about this, as long as you make sure the SIM is with data plan and voice feature, just contact us immediately, we can help you get the watch worked at once.
- Historical Route Track(Footprint Record): Past locations of the GPS watch in latest 3 months will be stored in system for your future checking. Electronic Fence Alarm(Geo-fence ): You can set a safe area centering around the watch wearer, the watch will automatically raise an alarm in your phone application once the watch wearer leaves the area. You can track multiple watches at the same time, please contact us, we will help you realize it.
- Camera Feature: Support photo taking, fun and fashion. Far more features waiting for you to discover: Remote Voice Monitoring, Step Counter, Silient Mode for School Time, Alarm Clock, Voice Chat, Low Battery Alarm and etc. IMPORTANT: This watch supports 3G WCDMA network, while most GPS watches on the market support only 2G network. 2G network is going to be shut down in USA, and you must get this watch with 3G compatibility that works perfectly in USA.
- Kind reminder: Black color is for elderly and adults, pink, blue, and grey colors are for kids. Black watchband is a bit longer than pink, blue and grey, so black is suitable for elderly and adults, pink, blue and grey colors for kids. Please select the color carefully. This Smart GPS Watch Is Developed And Produced By Our Company, But We Do Not Rule Out That There Are Some Sellers Who Imitate Our Watch. And We Do Not Provide Any After-sales Service For Copy Watch From Other Sellers.
- TOUCHSCREEN PHONEWATCH helps you to reach your child anytime anywhere by using 2G data traffic (additional micro SIM card needed, not included). We recommend SPEEDTALK GSM SIM You are able to set the numbers for incoming and outgoing calls, voice messages through the application for IOS and Android.
- GPS AND LBS POSITIONING gives you all the actual information about your kid's location, reports of the movements around the city.
- FUN CAMERA helps your baby to take selfies and pictures. The flashlight may be used anytime if necessary.
- REMOTE CAMERA AND REMOTE VOICE MONITOR for the full safety of your child . When in danger, by pressing the long on the SOS button of the watch, you will receive a SOS message immediately (up to 3 SOS numbers).
- FORBIDDEN IN THE CLASSROOM option may be activated through the app as well as other functions: alarm, pedometer, sleep control, find watch, rewards, quick learning, voice chat, stopwatch and more...
- 🚩GPS+LBS Location: True GPS, with Double position technology based on GPS, Location Base on Cell Tower Station means double safety for kids.GPS will provide more accurately location than LBS when kids are outdoor,the error will be less than 100feet (30meters). achieving all day real-time location tracking,Kids can one click SOS to get call if they in danger. Parents can control and settings via "Setracker" app from App Store or Google Play.
- Functions: Our G3S model has upgrade with Health monitor function, kids can count their steps on the watch,parents can view Steps,Calorie,History route,Sleep monitor in their phone. And Our kids watch phone support 2 ways call, One press SOS emergency call,Voice Chat Walkie Talkie, Anti Lost,Flashlight,Remote Voice Monitor,Remote Camera, Silent(Do not disturb)
- 🎧Remote Voice Monitor : Set the voice monitor number in App, dail the number, the watch will automatically answer without remind. So the parents can hear the children secretly.
- 🔕Silent Mode in the Class:Parents can set the forbidden time while class time during the week day.The watch features are not available except SOS function when the kids is in class time to ensure the normal order of the school.
- 📶Note: The watch Worked as unlocked GSM Phone, supported Micro SIM Card, We provide Smartwatch with SIM Card(Only suitable for US). Other Country please info us your country and sim carriers. You just need to open data plan to make it work.
What is a GPS Tracker Watch?
Simply, a kid’s tracking watch should provide parents with the ability to monitor the location of their children in real time. The child should have the ability to call their parents or a fix set of numbers with a simple click of a button. Many of these devices allow up to 3 to 5 stored telephone numbers with a SOS emergency feature.
Some trackers have fixed zones where if a child ventures out of the neighborhood, the watch automatically notifies the parent. Some tracking devices have additional features. They include pedometer for fitness or capabilities to “eavesdrop” on their child. Parents access the information via a smartphone application or through a web portal.
There a few choices from the large telecom networks.Those can be expensive and require certain plans.
AT&T offers the Filip kid’s tracker which is currently hard to find and usually out of stock. At $149, it was a big investment for something that would only be used, in my scenario, for a few weeks. Plans start as low as $10 a month for just the Data Connect Plan. If you want voice service, you’ll need to spend more with a Mobile Share plan. Minimum Mobile Share Value plan (Unlimited Talk and Text plan starts at $20/mo. for 300MB data) plus $10/mo. access charge per device required. Filip filed for bankruptcy in October of 2016; raising some concerns.
Sprint offers the WeGo. For current Sprint subscribers, the phone is offered for $0 down and 24 monthly payments of $5. There’s a Sprint WeGo Service that costs $9.99 per month, and includes 1,000 text messages and 1,000 minutes of talk. The WeGo is a dongle feature phone rather than a watch. The likelihood of children losing this device is probable. The WeGo was introduced in 2014 and now, according to various recent reports, is having compatibility issues with Sprint’s current network.
If you want to stick to a device offered by a major telecom company, Verizon Wireless probably offers the best device right now. Verizon’s offering is the GizmoPal® 2 from LG. There is $5 a month data plan added to an existing Verizon plan. If you are a Verizon subscriber, the GizmoPal is a compelling offering at $79.
The need for a Tracker
Grandma, who normally picks up the kid, headed off on a month-long vacation. With very little notice, this parent rushed to find the most cost effective GPS tracking watch. As a AT&T user, the first choice would have been the Filip 2. With the Filip’s unavailability, this parent looked elsewhere.
Up and coming products
If you are not a Verizon subscriber and if you do not want to be tied to a data plan, there are a few options on Amazon. There are a few ‘start-up’ brands in the works. Some are launching crowd-funding campaigns. There seems to be a lot of hyped product in this space. The herO GPS is one smart watch that comes up in various searches. Back in 2014, Engadget had a first look at it but 3 years later, it is still in the pre-order phase.
Best GPS Watch for Kids on Amazon
At this point, it looks like a big gamble. There are devices like the Filip 2 that have been unavailable for months and many un-released announced products can give a parent some hesitation. Many of the kids’ watches look all the same but the devils are in the details. When you start searching for a kid’s phone, you will notice the colorful oversize, kid pastel watches. There will be some that look like smart watches, like the Apple Watch or Samsung Gear. Some will only offer fitness capabilities. Watches can be labelled “GPS tracker” but only act as a fitness, historical tracker. They do not provide real-time location tracking of your children. A True GPS tracker watch will require a data plan and a SIM card.
- SHENZHEN WAYFOR WARD ELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
- Wireless Phone Accessory
After careful research, a Q50 tracker watch comes up often on search results. This tracker watch comes under different brands and price point. They appear to be from the same OEM (Original Equipment Manifacture) Factory in China. The watches are resold under various labels from $20 to $140. Depending on how fast you want it delivered, the price varies. The reviews are hit and miss.
So what is my take on this? You get what you paid for. For $20-50, it does the job but there are many glaring quality issues that I will cover.
The model I ended up with was the SINOPRO Q50. Here is another example from LemFO, also called the Q50. Lastly, there is TurnMeOn. All are based on the same internal design. And another variation comes from iGPS scout which sells for $120.
After reading many of the countless reviews, the recommendation is you acquire a T-Mobile Pay as you Go SIM card. The SIM card should be activated before hand. The whole setup process takes about 30 minutes which includes unscrewing the back to insert the SIM.
You can download either the iOS or Android App to complete the setup. Within the app, you can setup speed dial, security fence, and other settings.
Here are some screenshots of the application.
Screenshots of real-time tracking
An example of zoned fence. When a child leaves the defined zone, the watch will notify the parent.
The watch runs a full day if you use aggressive power saving and instruct your child not to play with it. For the first few days, he was actively playing with his watch that the battery drained out in the middle of his school day. The battery would run from 7AM to 3PM which was very discouraging. After applying quicker backlit and quicker standby, the watch would run for 10 hours.
The phone call quality was mediocre and filled with echoes. Your child would need to speak loudly. In terms of durability, it took 3 days when the first screen crack appeared. The screen crack was the result of a school recess mishap. The watch has no water resistance and the ruggedness is in question. There are other models higher in price, using the same basic chassis and internals, that offer water resistance. A harder crystal would be prudent.
You get what you pay for. $20 to $50 isn’t much to spend on a GPS tracker if you absolutely need to get one today without any long term commitment. T-Mobile’s pay as you plan starts at $20. T-Mobile’s plan is higher than other “shared family” plans.
You are not committed to contracts or long term commitment. This device would be handy as a as-needed basis. For example, a weekend at Disneyland or a camping trip could be instances where this device can be extremely useful.
Some online stores give us a small commission if you buy something through one of our links. Read our affiliate policy for more info.
Last update on 2019-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API